Job Title: Research Associate
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Status: Full Time
About the Company:
Mozza is an early-stage biotech startup working on genetically modifying plants to produce the primary proteins found in milk. Our goal is the complete removal of cows from the cheese making process. We define success simply: a mozzarella cheese made with milk proteins from our plants that is indistinguishable from mozzarella made from cow’s milk, in stores within 48 months.
Our research facility is located in downtown Los Angeles and we’re actively looking to expand our team.
We are looking for a research associate to join our team. The right candidate shares our passion for environmental sustainability and the disruption of a major pillar in the food industry, as well as our drive for commercial success. We are currently in the early phases of research and development so your work here will be instrumental in guiding the next generation of environmentally sustainable foods to market.
The right candidate will be highly proficient in basic lab techniques and procedures. You will be required to handle sensitive equipment, develop and follow detailed experimental protocols, work in and manage sterile environments, and report and record experimental procedures and findings in meticulous detail. Our research techniques change in response to new findings, so the right candidate must be flexible and adept at learning new skills as our research evolves.
Primary responsibilities include:
– Plasmid construction
– E. coli cultures
– Media preparation
– Western blotting
– Gel electrophoresis and membrane transfer
– Plasmid sequencing data review
– Maintaining lab cleanliness and equipment
– Researching experimental protocols
– Executing experiments with various plant species
– Maintaining a meticulous lab notebook
– Analysis of experimental results and data
– Regularly reporting results
The successful candidate MUST be highly detail oriented and very organized.
Experience with pipettes and basic lab skills is required.
Given the delicate nature of working with plants and running time-sensitive experiments, working on weekends may be required.
– B.S. degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry or a related field; or the equivalent experience in an academic laboratory.
– 2 or more years of experience working in a biological lab setting.
– Ability to keep accurate, organized records and maintain an electronic notebook.
– Ability to clearly organize and archive samples.
– Ability to work independently and collaboratively with other members of the project.
– Ability to meet agreed upon deadlines, manage time effectively and work efficiently.
– Ability to coordinate and manage standard lab upkeep.
– Strong basic math skills.
– Strong attention to detail.
– Has a passion for learning and contributing to a game-changing project.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Applicants must be able to commute daily and work from our laboratory located in Downtown, Los Angeles CA
Reports To: Senior Scientist
Job Type: Full-time
Work authorization: United States (Required)
– Health insurance
– Paid time off