The Berman Institute of Bioethics is seeking a Senior Research Program Coordinator to work collaboratively with the Principal Investigator on a robust research agenda focusing on food systems policy and ethics projects as part of the Global Food Ethics and Policy Program (GFEPP). This position will be responsible for providing both streamlined and efficient administrative logistical support on research projects and programs, as well as leading, closely with the GFEPP Faculty, the development of a GFEPP—wide strategy.
The role involves exercising a range of skills relating to program coordination, relationship management, administration and information management. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, enjoy working as part of a hard-working and professional team, have a keen interest or experience working in food systems and nutrition.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Program Coordination (40%)
- Oversee all non-scientific aspects of the research and communications in the GFEPP portfolio; including organizing travel, visas, reimbursement of expenses, arranging project meetings, workshops and conference calls, ordering stationery, supplies and shipments overseas.
- Develop and maintain information management systems for appropriate administration of the project(s); contributing to the strategic trajectory of projects and sustainability beyond the current grant lifecycle.
- Receive, understand and convey complex information that needs careful explanation/interpretation to project team members, professional services, funders and overseas collaborators.
- Identify or anticipate problems that may arise within the areas of administration/financial management and develop innovative and workable solutions, escalating when appropriate.
- Act as a point of contact for the Finance team in relation to the administration of projects where sub-contracts are held in the US or overseas.
- Coordinate, and participate in, management team meetings and conference calls and assist with the arrangement of occasional large-scale meetings/conferences.
- Oversee undergraduate and graduate student research assistants, as needed.
- Work with the Program’s faculty and Director to develop an innovative GFEPP program wide, across-school communications strategy.
- Contribute/ lead the design, development and implementation of new GFEPP website.
- Maintain webpages, including updating project and output/work package information and other communications materials.
- Manage GFEPP social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn, Soundcloud etc.).
- Independently draft communications materials targeted at a range of audiences, including presentations at meetings, speeches at conferences, and press releases, blogs, videos and infographics to publish on social media and the GFEPP websites.
- Monitor GFEPP webpage inbox, responding to queries on a every other day basis.
- Organize and manage GFEPP newsletters (internal & external).
- Ability to draft and design graphic visuals and PowerPoint presentations.
- Respond to requests from the school press office and other sources regarding press and other enquires.
- Contribute to drafting written non-scientific elements of annual reports, other documentation relating to the research project and communication, promotion and dissemination documents, such as newsletters.
- Support the copy-editing of scientific documents undertaken by GFEPP faculty including research briefs, peer-review publications, IRB applications, etc.
- Keep an up-to-date list of staff publications and make researchers aware of open access publications.
- Provide support to the Director and Finance team in the management of GFEPP’s grants, budgets and administration of on-going research projects.
- Understand and adhere to the school Financial Regulations and funder regulations.
- Collate and submit evidence of expenditure, such as copies of invoices, receipts and timesheets, to funding organizations and auditors.
- Work with the Finance team to complete detailed financial reports for submission to funding organizations, collating and submitting evidence of expenditure as appropriate and ensuring these are delivered on time.
- Collaborate with financial staff in the review, processing, and reconciling of invoices and reimbursements. Assist with placing orders for research equipment and supplies as needed.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline.
- Three years related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, International Development, Public Health, Food Policy, Agriculture, and/or Development Communications preferred.
- Master’s Degree in above disciplines preferred.
- Five years’ experience in project management preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of bioethics desirable.
- Research skills are critical.
- Excellent written, communications and interpersonal skills, superior organizational skills and the ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Candidates should be self-motivated, able to work independently, meet deadlines, maintain a flexible and adaptable working style and display superb professional judgment and discretion.
- Excellent relevant basic IT skills (e.g. MS Word and Excel) and willingness to learn new software packages.
- Experience providing administrative/financial support for research projects desirable
- Knowledge and use of content management systems to build and maintain websites and/or data visualization tools desirable.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Classified Title: Sr. Research Program Coordinator
Starting Salary Range: $39,310 – $54,050 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:00-4:30
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Public Health
Department name: Bioethics Institute
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.