Please respond to: Hugh Joseph (email@example.com)
I am looking for one or two students to assist a project that is developing innovative communications and training / technical assistance (T&TA) tools for immigrant and refugee small-scale farmers across the country. They are participating in beginning farmer incubators nationwide, similar to Friedman’s New Entry project (https://nesfp.org/) that I started back in 1998. The host organization is ISED Solutions, a national refugee-serving non-profit, based here in Boston.
Specifically, we are developing farming-related T&TA products that emphasize visual and audio approaches in tandem with written content in Plain Language (lower literacy) formats. We have 10 refugee incubator partners around the country working with us on this. The project is well underway but will go at least two more years. I will send more details if you are interested.
- Can be during school year or year round.
- 5-10 hours a week available, on average, during the semester. Flexible hours and schedules to the most part.
- Preference for longer-term engagement (i.e., a year or more).
- Can evolve into formal fully-compensated Friedman School internship as well.
- Photo editing and formatting experience
- Similar video skills preferred but not essential
- Relevant farming experience and/or knowledge
- Good writing skills. Willing to learn Plain Language quickly (with assistance, of course)
- Adobe Creative Cloud products (e.g., Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator) a plus, but not essential)
Compensation: $20/hour. Preference for work-study eligible students during the fall and spring semesters, but will still consider a W-S non-eligible student. Summer option also available (and encouraged) either as a project staff person or as an eligible paid Friedman School internship.
Content editing work: The work can include some or all of the following activities:
- Editing photos and possibly videos to improve visual qualities.
- Formatting multi-photo series to be posted online.
- Word-smithing explanatory written content.
- Researching background materials to add to photo series or videos, and adding written content to these products.
- Design help others design visually-based T&TA products for our audiences. This will incorporate original project-sourced photography and/or third party images.
- Produce such products yourself (likely includes visiting local farms during the growing season).
- Take photos and edit them to contribute to a large photobank of stock images for use in providing T&TA to farmers and in producing T&TA products.
- Assist with tracking overall work among all partners
- Add and manage content on our data base / website