The ideal candidate will be nimble and adaptable, comfortable translating complex information to reach multiple audiences, including members, allies, the broader public (via social media), individual donors, and funders. They will be a compelling communicator, a confident researcher, and a collaborative team player willing to lend their skills across projects and program areas. We strongly encourage applicants with personal experience confronting the negative impacts of our current food system.
About the HEAL (Health, Environment, Agriculture, Labor) Food Alliance:
HEAL is committed to achieving food and farm systems that are healthy for our families, accessible and affordable for all communities, and fair to the hard-working people who grow, distribute, prepare, and serve our food — while protecting the air, water, and land we all depend on.
Our staff team is small and mighty – we are highly accountable to our members, and to each other. Each of us contributes to the overall functioning of the organization, maintaining relationships with members, and adapting workflows to support one anothers’ needs. For more about how our team operates, please see our protocols and principles.
- Social Media Strategy & Management: With Communications Team, manage and grow HEAL’s social network channels
- External Communications: With staff, curate monthly member newsletter and quarterly external newsletter. Create action alerts and email campaigns as needed.
- Research: With the Communications Team, research and compile information for our Platform Toolkits, and social media features.
- Design & Asset Management: Develop simple graphics and video; building and maintaining photo database
- Website Maintenance: Assist Communications Director with general updates to the website.
- Metrics & Analytics Tracking: Track and report on social media, website, and email metrics
- Donor Engagement: Support Resource Organizing Director in curating donor updates and communications for online fundraising appeals
- Monitoring & Reporting: Monitor online fundraising campaigns, synthesize findings to improve fundraising appeals. With staff, monitor and maintain donor records and grant tracking systems
- Research: Provide background research on potential funding sources and trends
HEAL ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (10%)
- Participate in program and project meetings, cross-organizational meetings, and special organizational efforts using the experience and learning in this position to inform HEAL’s workplan, infrastructure development, and strategic planning.
- Maintain competency in issue areas. Maintain and update working knowledge of issues related to gender, economic, environmental, and racial justice to ensure relevance of HEAL campaigns and communications.
- Maintain relationships with HEAL members.
- Organized: Demonstrated ability to track materials, set priorities, and meticulously track details on multiple projects while driving them to completion
- Communicative: Impeccable English language skills in all areas of verbal and written communications, and be skilled in interpersonal relations. Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Adaptive: Comfortable adapting to shifting priorities and able to problem solve
- Self-directed: Demonstrated initiative, accountability, and comfort managing projects remotely
- Collaborative: Great team player and listener with strong interpersonal skills
- Tech Savvy: Experience tracking online analytics, experience with WordPress or other basic website management, and basic image editing skills. Must have basic fluency with social media.
- Analytical: Must have analytical and critical thinking skills, with an ability to assess situations, take initiative and make recommendations.
Details + Application Process
HEAL is an emerging coalition and as such seeks self-motivated and strategic thinkers who are able to adapt as the organization shifts and grows. As a complex coalition, we seek individuals who are highly organized systems thinkers. For all positions, HEAL seeks individuals with a demonstrated understanding of the intersections of racial, economic, and environmental justice, who are committed to transformative change.
HEAL Food Alliance is a fiscally-sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center (MSC). MSC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications & Development Associate.” Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with priority given to applications received before October 25, 2021.
Position Type & Compensation
- 20 days vacation leave per year
- 12 standard holidays and 2 personal days per year
- 12 sick days per year
- 1 week paid MSC family and medical leave after one year of service; an additional week of paid leave for each additional year of service, up to 4 weeks
- Medical, vision, dental for employees and dependents (requires 30 day waiting period and a per paycheck employee contribution)
- 100% employer sponsored basic life, short-term and long-term disability insurance coverage
- Access to a 403b retirement plan. Access to FSA and Commuter Benefits.