Field to Market: The Alliance for Sustainable Agriculture™ is a 501(c)(3) organization that brings together a diverse alliance of grower groups; agribusiness companies; food, fiber, restaurant and retail companies; conservation groups; universities and public sector partners to focus on promoting, defining and measuring the sustainability of row crops for food, feed, fiber and fuel production.
Field to Market seeks a Program Assistant that will support the Director of Grant Programs in the implementation and coordination of the organization’s agricultural grants. This role will support daily activities related to the grant by providing administrative and technical support for all grant projects and partners to ensure the success of the program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, preparing payments and reporting records, communicating with stakeholders, staff, members, and project participants, maintaining compliance with federal regulations, scheduling meetings, administrative duties, implementation of projects, and coordination and engagement with participants in grant activities.
This position will work closely with the Director of Grant Programs and other key staff dedicated to the grant program. This position may be expected to support other staff working on the project on occasion. In keeping with Field to Market’s commitment to continuous improvement, this position will seek opportunities to deliver value to the grant department and stakeholders and find creative ways to organize and improve the grant program.
Contingent on a grant award contract, this position will be funded for up to five years and may be extended based on the success of the program. This role will report to the Director of Grant Programs.
This position is hybrid, based in Washington, D.C. Currently, staff are in the office one day per week (more often as needed) and remote for the remainder. However, fully remote capabilities will be considered for the right candidate.
The ideal candidate is highly organized, accountable, collaborative, and has experience in grant management and compliance. Candidates should have a good understanding of the agriculture sector and sustainability. As a small nonprofit, every team member must be willing to work collaboratively across programmatic areas and lend a hand to teammates when needed.
An understanding of sustainability issues impacting the food and agriculture sector is a plus. Strong written and verbal communication skills, exceptional time management, and a self-starter attitude are desired.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support for all grant program activities.
- Prepare payments and reporting.
- Ensure timely execution of reporting, payments, and reimbursements.
- Communicate with project participants to effectively meet the needs of the projects.
- Monitor program activities to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings for the grants team, project participants, and partners.
- Implementation support for grant projects.
- Coordination with project participants, partners, sub awardees, and contractors.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias.
Willingness to support other departments when needed and perform all other duties and tasks as assigned.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university. A degree in business, agriculture, finance, or another relevant field is a plus.
- 1-3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working on grants or strong, professional financial management.
- Project management and time-management skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, prioritize projects, and meet deadlines.
- Highly collaborative and team oriented.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of agriculture and sustainability practices is a plus.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, small office environment.
- Proactive self-starter who can work independently.
- Must have strong command of the English language.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint).
- Travel required: up to 15%. Travel and other work-related assignments may include evenings and weekends.
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience ranging from $57,500-$65,000. Field to Market offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401k match and generous paid leave. Applicants must have authorization to work in the United States.
Commitment to Equal Employment
Field to Market is an equal opportunity employer committed to the fair and equal treatment of all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, age, national origin, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation and training. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, collaborative and sustainable work environment for all employees.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Field to Market follows USDA’s Non-Discrimination Statement.
How to Apply
Please submit an application online at https://fieldtomarket.typeform.com/Applications. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled and will require a cover letter and resume. Please direct all questions to email@example.com, with “Program Assistant” in the subject line.