The Food Scientist will support all functions of the growing Nutrition/R&D Department at Edesia. The R&D Department is cross-functional in its nature and requires extensive coordination and cooperation with other functional departments at Edesia (Operations, Production, Quality, Procurement, and Warehouse). The role consists primarily of managing all activities in the Test Kitchen but will periodically assist in scaling up activities from the Test Kitchen to Plant. The Food Scientist will work closely with other Food Scientists and Process Engineers on the R&D team and most closely collaborate with the Quality and Operations teams.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
· Create test kitchen samples based off of product concepts.
· Maintain adequate inventory and rotation of ingredients in Test Kitchen.
· Maintain organization and a clean and sanitary work environment in Test Kitchen.
· Complete product characteristic analysis in-house (viscosity, texture, particle size).
· Work with Quality Department and 3rd party lab for product and ingredient analysis (microbiology, chemical, nutritional).
· Manage ongoing stability, shelf life, and sensory studies (sending samples, stocking incubator, checking temps, recording results – based on protocols) and complete interim and final reports.
· Assist in plant activities, which may include trials, validation of new production equipment, modifying procedures and recording forms based on equipment or material changes, performing quality checks, etc.
· Perform supplier and ingredient validations and approvals.
· Assist with proofing/editing of packaging and labeling, as needed.
· Strict adherence to and promotion of Edesia’s food safety procedures and GMPs.
· All other duties as assigned
- Required— Bachelor’s degree in food science, culinary science, food process engineering, or food technology/science with 1+ years’ work experience or internship in R&D or related field.
- 3-5 years of job experience in R&D, preferred.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse team.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly innovative and creative.
- Excellent written and oral technical communication skills.
- Ability to lift/carry boxes weighing 50 lbs.
General office environment; occasionally visits production area. High utilization of office equipment, phone, computer, etc. Works often in Test Kitchen and in Plant. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
The requirements described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.