The Breakthrough Institute is an energy and environmental research center based in Berkeley, California. Our work is based on ecomodernism, which means we believe humans can protect nature by using technology to limit the negative impacts on the environment. Basically, we envision a world that is good for both people and nature. We achieve this goal through our four focus areas: energy, conservation, food and farming, and energy access for all people. We’re a great team to join. Here’s why.
1. Do a lot. You will get the chance to play an integral role in keeping a growing organization humming and thriving. You will gain first-hand experience working on everything from the business office to event production to human resources to the development efforts that make our work possible.
2. Learn from the best in the business. You may not have heard of us, but I guarantee you have heard of the ideas that have originated from our research. We convene a powerful network of social scientists, journalists, scholars, academics, innovators, and entrepreneurs. As a part of the team, you will get to learn from the thought leaders and influencers in energy and the environment.
3. Brilliant coworkers who love what they do. We are in this for the same reason – to make a positive impact on the world around us – so we build each other up, support each other, and put our mission above our egos. We’re a friendly and collaborative group. That means you will be able to learn and work with a wide variety of people and skills.
Right now, we’re looking for an Administrative Assistant to join our team. This is an entry-level position reporting to the Director of Operations, and they will be responsible for:
- Managing the physical office space, including creating and maintaining office systems and supplies
- Assisting the Director of Operations with bill pay, payroll, expense reporting, compliance projects
- Assisting the Director of Operations with IT and AV management, including the management of shared software and online platforms, and the organization’s Google domain and drives
- Assisting the Director of Operations with hiring logistics
- Scheduling meetings
- Assisting the Director of Events in planning, coordinating, and executing events including but not limited to: research, RSVPs, outreach, database management, on-site event management, event materials (e.g. invitations, travel logistics, presentation materials, speaker bios)
- Assisting with implementing development strategies by sending acknowledgments, scheduling meetings, and managing databases
- Traveling locally and nationally for events and administrative projects as necessary
- Perform other tasks as needed
- Qualities you should possess:
- Be self-starting, resourceful, and organized
- Have the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Be a proactive problem solver
- Have strong attention to detail
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Openness to implementing unconventional and innovative ideas
- A willingness to learn
- Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years of related work experience
- Comfortable with Google applications (Gmail, Google docs, calendar, etc).
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Comfortable with outreach to vendors, donors, event guests, external stakeholders, etc.
Salary is in the $45 – 50K range. Excellent health insurance, paid leave, cell phone reimbursement, and commuter benefits. We are located in downtown Berkeley near the Downtown Berkeley BART station.
Does this sound like you?
If so, send a thoughtful letter of interest and resume to jobs[at]thebreakthrough[dot]org. Use the subject line “Name – Administrative Assistant.” Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.