At Boston Children’s Hospital, the quality of our care – and our inclusive hospital working environment – lies in the diversity of our people. With patients from local communities and 160 countries around the world, we’re committed to reflecting the spectrum of their cultures, while opening doors of opportunity for our team. Here, different talents pursue common goals. Voices are heard and ideas are shared. Join us, and discover how your unique contributions can change lives. Yours included.
The research assistant will be involved in recruiting and consenting patients for research studies, collecting and managing data, working on quality improvement initiatives, and preparing current and new protocols for human subject review by the Committee for Clinical Investigation. There will also be opportunities to assist with other projects in the division. This is a great opportunity to gain clinical research experience as a member of a dynamic clinical and research team.
This Clinical Research Assistant I will be responsible for:
- Consents and recruits patients for research studies through personal interviews and written communications with patients/families. Provides detailed background information regarding studies to families, communicates all policies and procedures, and responds to all inquiries. Evaluates suitability of prospective study candidates and makes selections based upon clinical knowledge of each study.
- Serves as liaison to the families/patients in the research studies, conducted at both on-site and off-site locations, guiding and advising them throughout each phase of the study. Coordinates follow-up visits as necessary. Acts as a resource to study participants, addressing any concerns they may have. Troubleshoots resolution of any issues that may arise throughout the study.
- Coordinates and prepares the necessary documentation for Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Committee on Clinical Investigations (CCI) submissions, together with the Private Investigator of the study.
- Creates and prepares data collection statistical reports and analytical summaries for distribution to study research team for review and analysis. Writes articles and summary papers of studies for submission to medical journals, as may be necessary/requested.
- Participates in the training of newly hired research study assistants, as required.
- Coordinates activities between the hospital and research laboratories to ensure correct testing/processing and send out instructions specific to the study. Communicates project policies and procedures to personnel. Monitors and reviews data collection and data entry, and informed consent procedures – ensuring consistency of application for each study.
- Performs other miscellaneous administrative duties as assigned or required.
To qualify, you must have:
- The knowledge of theories, principles, and concepts acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior research experience preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.), as well as a general interest in gastrointestinal healthcare.
- The candidate should be organized and detail-oriented, able to work independently, have strong written and verbal communication skills, and be comfortable interacting with patients and families.
- Proficiency in statistical software (SPSS, REDCap) is helpful, but not required.
During a public health emergency, individuals in this role may be expected to take on additional duties to respond to organizational needs.
BCH offers competitive compensation and benefits
Boston Children’s Hospital is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.