Reporting jointly to the Associate Director for Campus Sustainability and Climate Action and the Director of Auxiliary Services, the Sustainability Coordinator will work collaboratively to perform a variety of administrative, support, and coordination efforts related to Barnard’s programs for sustainability, climate action, and dining services. A key component of this work is to design, launch, and execute an interdisciplinary food sustainability and wellness program, in alignment with existing College initiatives around net zero emissions, Circular Campus, and health and wellness.
The incumbent will lead the Community Climate Commitment within the Office of Sustainability, facilitating workshops to help Barnard offices and departments develop internal mission-based Sustainability Action Plans.
This is a two year term appointment with the possibility of extension.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent will perform a broad range of duties. Work requires frequent collaboration with a range of campus partners to design and execute initiatives, including but not limited to Facilities, Residential Life, Student Experience, Student Government, Faculty, Events Management and Communications.
Sustainable and Healthy Foods
- Work collaboratively to design and implement a Sustainable and Healthy Foods program. Propose and develop programming related to sustainable agriculture and regenerative food systems, health and wellness, equity, access, and food justice.
- Partner with internal and external partners to execute programs. Design, lead, and manage related outreach, including workshops, panels, speaker series, restaurant and farm talks, and tours. Manage programming and events, including developing and adhering to clear timelines, managing budgets, coordinating with campus partners such as Events Management or Student Engagement and Experience, and defining and executing outreach strategies.
- Work directly with Barnard’s dining services provider, Chartwells, to review and analyze sourcing of food. Develop strategies to prioritize and emphasize local and sustainable food sourcing, as well as general sustainability practices related to waste management or other topics.
- Research best practices by dining service providers and identify, develop and implement new strategies around dining services and sustainable practices.
- Define performance indicators and outcomes for programs and track progress annually or as directed.
Sustainability and Campus Community
- Support a range of offices and departments in creating internal mission-based sustainability action plans. Lead and facilitate workshops, summarize action plans, and support partner offices in publishing and achieving action items.
- Create and execute effective communication and outreach strategies via a range of platforms, including written and verbal communication, social media, presentations, and other media as necessary to engage a range of audiences.
- Coordinate communication efforts with dining services marketing when appropriate.
- Research and write grant applications as necessary.
- Provide oversight and leadership for student employee teams, Student Government, and student volunteers on a range of projects and events. Define clear duties and expectations for student employee teams, and give appropriate feedback and support.
- Support the Sustainable Practices Committee or other committees as assigned, by scheduling, coordinating, communicating, developing minutes/notes of meetings.
Other Duties as Assigned
Perform miscellaneous tasks as necessary for the demonstrated successful implementation of assigned duties. Perform administrative tasks as necessary for paperwork and recordkeeping management. Perform data analysis as necessary or requested. Support other core Sustainability programming as necessary. Represent Barnard College as necessary and participate in training activities to maintain professional knowledge of sustainable food and management best practices.