About Fresh is a Boston area nonprofit on a mission to strengthen communities by getting healthy food to the households that need it most. Our programs are built to be integrated into community health systems and are designed to scale with our partnerships and emerging opportunities.
About Fresh currently operates two programs
- Fresh Truck mobile markets bring affordable, healthy food closer to low-income neighborhoods throughout Boston
- Fresh Connect is a digital payment platform that enables health care providers to subsidize the cost of healthy food for patients and analyze the health-related impacts of improved diets.
Fresh Truck (FT) recognizes that the strong and impactful mobile market operations that we run are a solution to a systemic problem. As we grow into our tenth year of operations, we are leaning into strategic work that is necessary for making change in the food system of Boston, Massachusetts and the federal government. The Fresh Truck Social Impact Intern will work closely with the FT Social Impact Working Group, the FT Managing Director and the entire FT team to survey FT stakeholders and support implementation of the Social Impact plan.
What you’ll do:
Social Impact Programming and Outreach
- Approach the work from a trauma-informed, anti-racist perspective and work to implement anti-racist approaches into surveys and social impact work at FT.
- Under the direction and support of the Fresh Truck Managing Director, support the implementation and the expanded development of the Fresh Truck Social Impact plan.
- Work with the FT Social Impact working group to ensure that all plans and implementations are guided by the needs and choices of our FT community of shoppers and community partners through tools such as surveys, conversations at FT Markets and hosted events
- Oversee at least 2 Social Impact activities during the course of the internship
- WIth Director of Brand & Narrative, collaborate on advocacy alerts, e-news, and engagement activities to build and energize a network of supporters. Build an infrastructure to support this as an ongoing FT activity
- With Director of Brand & Narrative, create education pieces to activate community members in easily digestible and actionable ways
Research and Data Gathering
- Develop outcome measurements and evaluate the results of social impact activities. Integrate these measurements into the FT activities in order to support a longitudinal capture of data.
- Survey the existing landscape of ongoing and possible legislation, budgetary process, regulations and government activity around key hunger issues. Document and present to the FT team to support the development of strategies and tactics to address them.
Other Support as identified
- Identify relationships to strengthen and build with local, state and federal officials and partner to move the About Fresh mission forward.
Who you are:
- Willingness to grow, adapt and learn with the organization as About Fresh grows, adapts and changes.
- An active, community-oriented, anti-racist advocate in search of meaningful, systemic change to food insecurity and poverty.
- Grit – you’re willing to get your hands dirty, learn about our work from the bottom up and recognize our Market Operations Team as some of the leading experts in the work that Fresh Truck does every day
- Embrace working within diverse community settings and with a strong sense of social justice; being multilingual (Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Russian) is huge a plus
- You’re able to communicate high-level information and policies to a diverse group of stakeholders, staff and volunteers in a thoughtful and accessible way.
- You’re interested in involving people in the work in an intersectional approach, including across class, race and ability social identities.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
About Fresh requires its Colleagues to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including any booster shots if required), where allowable under the law, unless they are approved for a reasonable accommodation based on disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
- If you are vaccinated, you are required to have received at least one COVID-19 shot prior to your first day of employment and to provide proof of your vaccination status within the first 30 days of your employment. For the two COVID-19 shot regimen, you will be required to provide proof of your second COVID-19 shot within the first 60 days of your employment. Failure to provide timely proof of your COVID-19 vaccination status will result in the termination of your employment with About Fresh.
- If you are unable to be fully vaccinated due to disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or religious belief, you will be required to apply for a reasonable accommodation within the first 30 days of your employment in order to remain employed with About Fresh. As a part of this process, you will be required to provide information or documentation about the reason you cannot be vaccinated. If your request for an accommodation is not approved, then your employment may be terminated.
About Fresh practices equity, inclusion, and belonging throughout our programming, hiring practices, and organizational design to create a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and making decisions in service of our mission. About Fresh staff represent a wide range of racial, socioeconomic, gender, religious, and national identities—we value the depth this brings to carrying out our mission. About Fresh is an equal opportunity employer.
About Fresh Culture Code
We’re Driven by People
We honor people by listening to their experiences and sharing our own. We do our best at work when we nurture relationships and care for people and our partners.
We’re About Learning
We are audacious learners and program builders. Our persistence and confidence in learning drives our ability to solve complex problems and engineer impactful solutions.
We Come Through
We deliver in everyday and big moments. We greet our work with a deep sense of responsibility and discipline, knowing that people rely on our work, and are betting on us to shape the future of food equity.
Food is ❤️
We believe food is our culture, happiness + health. Our work is inspired by moments of joy, connection, humor, and healing that happen when we gather around food.
To apply to this internship, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com